The Old Dairy
The Old Dairy glamping is in Yapton, a rural village near Arundel, with a number of historic buildings.
Yapton is called the village that 'never closes its doors', a reference, not to hospitality, but the fact that smugglers once prospered in the area, and they were guaranteed a helping hand in Yapton!
The story goes that in the 18th century it was custom for residents of Yapton to leave their door open or unlocked so that smugglers pursued by the authorities could find a ready hiding place.
The Portsmouth and Arun Canal runs through Yapton. The canal was built in 1823 to link the River Arun to the sea at Portsmouth. The canal was most famously used to carry gold and silver for the Bank of England, and to transport munitions and gunpowder to Greenwich. It was beset by silting and eventually closed in 1847.
There are quite a few listed buildings in Yapton, including Bilsham Manor, built in the 17th century. Also on Bilsham Lane, and quite a bit older is The Chapel, a 14th-century chapel used as a shed, but now converted into a private dwelling.
Grounds and nearby
Nearby are local shops, convenience, butchers, public house in walking distance. Less than 3 miles to the beach. Historic Arundel and Chichester, Goodwood events and Horse Racing at Goodwood and walking in the South Downs within 3 mikes